Are you unsure about the difference between a gold IRA rollover versus transfer? You’re not alone. While the terms may seem similar, there is a key distinction between these two options for investing in physical gold. Let’s explore the main differences.
1. Gold IRA Transfer
There are a few key things to remember if you’re considering a gold IRA transfer.
- First, there is no 60-day transfer rule in effect, so you can roll over your account without any penalties.
- Second, there are no early withdrawal penalties, so you can access your funds at any time.
- Third, gold IRA rollovers are not taxable, so you won’t have to pay any taxes on the money you roll over.
- Fourth, there are no annual limits on how much you can roll over, so you can maximize your savings.
- Finally, there are no withholding taxes on gold IRA rollovers, so all of the money you roll over will go into your account.
2. Gold IRA Rollover
An IRA gold rollover is the process of moving funds from one custodian to another without the account holder receiving any money. The entire process is simplified and handled by third parties, so the account holder does not have to be involved.
Here are a few key things to keep in mind.
- First, you have 60 days from the date of deposit to complete the transfer.
- If you don’t, the distributed funds will be subject to taxes as ordinary income.
- Additionally, if you’re under the age of 59.5, you’ll also be subject to a 10% early withdrawal penalty.
- However, if you do complete the transfer of gold IRA within the 60-day window, there is no tax withholding.
- Lastly, remember that you’re limited to one gold IRA rollover per year. So choose wisely!
Rolling over your IRA into a gold IRA can be a great way to diversify your retirement portfolio and protect your retirement savings.
Just make sure you do your homework and understand the process before getting started.
Related: How To Rollover 401k to Gold IRA In 7 Simple Steps?
Should You Go With A Rollover Or A Transfer?
So, what’s the final verdict? Is it better to roll over or transfer your gold IRA?
The answer is…it depends.
It really comes down to a matter of personal preference and financial situation.
In either case, make sure you’ve set up your retirement account with a trusted gold IRA company to avoid scams and risks with your investments.
Invest In Gold IRA With Augusta
If you’re looking for the best option to invest in a gold IRA, check out our top gold IRA providers list first.
Our number one pick is Augusta Precious Metals – and boy they do offer a lot.
- A+ BBB rating? Check.
- Zero complaints since their inception? Check.
- Thousands of rave reviews? Check.
- Money Magazine’s top-pick designation? Check!
Read the complete Augusta Precious Metals Review here.
Plus, if you take advantage of their services, they’ll even pay all custodial and storage fees for up to 10 years!
Now that’s what I call an incredible deal.
You’d be hard-pressed to find another company offering even close to that level of value for their customers.